What dad doesn’t love cheese, carbs and bacon? Although not healthy, this delicious macaroni and cheese recipe would make a very yummy treat for dad on his special day. Despite the “grown-up” cheeses in this dish, I find that kids love it; especially if you’re sure to use yellow (not white) cheddar, to maintain that oh-so-familiar orange color.
- 8 oz applewood smoked bacon
- 4 cups (1lb) macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- 4 tb unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 10 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, homemade or prepared
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Cook bacon, using method of choice, and roughly chop.
- In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat milk and garlic over medium heat, until hot.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over medium-high heat and slowly whisk in flour. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, until lightly browned and well-mixed.
- Slowly add milk to the butter and flour, whisking to combine; Cook over medium-high heat, continuously whisking, until smooth and thick (approximately 5 minutes.)
- Add nutmeg, cayenne pepper and black pepper to taste. Slowly add Gruyere, Cheddar and Blue Cheeses, whisking to combine. Continue to whisk until all cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Add bacon and cooked pasta; mix well.
- Transfer pasta to a large baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake, at 400 degrees, for 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.